SU-CHIN PANG - PHOTOGRAPHY

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

24 Hour Shanghai

My first impression on China in 3 words - Warmth, Smiles and Kindness. I had an unexpected change of plans, Shanghai for 24 hours after a 14 hour flight, and back on the plane to Singapore. I will be back to Shanghai in 10 days when my visa issue gets sorted out. I stayed outside of Shanghai City for the night and a hotel for $28, would have costed $150/night in america. I cannot even tell you where i was. The next day turned out to be a pleasant clear day. I had an interesting asian breakfast at the hotel's top floor, filled with noodles, buns and more noodles. I took a stroll in the neighborhood, where a big river runs through. Within 10 mins of new discoveries, I find myself in the path of a scruffy kitten with melting eyes. It must have been weeks old. He was weak, thin and scrounging for food in the back of a restaurant. My immediate respond was to shelter "it", he clung on to me as if to say "don't leave me", "Please take me home with you". I attempted to speak to the food washing ladies in mandarin, asking them if they knew where the kitten's mother was. They had told me it had wandered through the streets looking for food. Sad, sad, sad :(((_-_-_I feel so guilty for not doing more. 
I continued making my way through the narrow streets, to photograph this foreign town. I encountered more sad animals (you will see in my photos). It was heart wrenching for me to even work on some of the photos. I also met some really genuine hardworking poor people, who were so kind to invite a stranger "me" into their homes for lunch. I was sure to get their address so that I could mail them their photos when I return to China. On the way back to the hotel, I couldn't help buying a chicken leg, or was it duck? I had to go back to feed the poor defenseless kitten. About 6 of the ladies working at the restaurant were on their break and were camera shy. After talking to them more, they warmed up quickly and I managed to get my photo op. They brought me a bowl so i could wash my greasy hands from feeding the kitten. 

This is the culture here, it is real, as cruel as it may seem. Still hard to swallow and hard not to hold back the tears. I am so connected and removed from this society. It makes me happy and sad experiencing what seems to be the norm here. Think twice when you do complain about what you don't have. If you ever feel discontent, I suggest taking a trip to suburbia China. What you may experience is something very unique, quite hard to put in words. I hope my photos speak for me.To view more of my images, please visit:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great little story and great photos! Not least to be captured within one day. The pictures and your impressions remind me of Istanbul a bit. The mix of old and new, animals on the street, people living much of their lives in the public. The very practical yet warm view on life.

onionskeen said...

Thks for your feedback bjorn. I just saw this. Kram!